This is a fun, fast and great for beginners sewing project. Create a Team Strip Quilt for your favorite college student or college sports fan. We carry kits to make these blankets in the store or you can use your own favorite fleece fabric.
- 1 team fleece kit OR 1-2/3 yards each of two pieces of fleece
- 90/14 jeans needle
- Sharp scissors – we recommend Fiskars Microtex or Fiskars Easy Action Rag Quilt Snips
- Long straight pins – we recommend Collins Flat Flower Pins
1. Cut the solid and print fleece into 4 pieces, each 15” x WOF.
2. Cut the selvages off and trim the fabric widths to equal amounts.
3. With wrong sides together, alternate a solid and print; sew together with a 2” seam allowance. Tip: Sewing machines don’t have a 2” seam guide. To make your own for this project: Place a ruler with the 2” mark directly under your machine needle and lower the pressure foot to hold it in place. Using painters tape (either blue or green) butt it up against the right edge of your ruler and smooth into place. Raise the pressure foot, remove the ruler and you have a 2” seam allowance guide!
4. Repeat 3 more times.
5. With wrong sides together, sew 2 groups of print/solid together. Repeat. With wrong sides together, sew these last 2 groups together.
6. When all seams are sewn, clip into the seam allowance about 1½”, at 1” intervals. Do not cut through the stitching!
7. Cut the top and bottom edge of your blanket to match the “fringe” in each row.