Here is a great project you can make now and have ready for your next impromptu dinner invitation or party. These wine bags are made with half of one of our Kitchen towels and iron-on transfers from Decorating your Life.
This project makes 2 gift bags.
- One Cotton Kitchen Towel
- Iron on design
- Sewing Machine
- Coordinating Thread
- Scissors or rotary cutter
- Ric-rac or other trims
- Buttons, corks
- Elastic –hair elastics work well!
1. Remove all labels.
2. Place the towel back side up, and cut in half so you have 2 pieces approximately 14” x 19”.
3. Working on one piece at a time, cut off the side and bottom hems.
4. Fold the towel lengthwise and pin. Put a slight crease here-this is the center front of your wine bag. Now measure up 5”-6” from the bottom edge of the towel and center the iron on design. How far up will depend upon the height of your iron-on.
5. Following manufacturer’s directions, iron the iron on design in place.
6. Fold the towel lengthwise and pin. Press a slight crease –up about 1”- in the side that won’t be seamed. This is so you have a “mark” for the side when you do step 10.
7. Sew down the side and bottom with a 3/8” seam. Double stitch the bottom for added strength. Cut a 1-1/4” square out of each bottom corner.
8. With right sides together, match side seam to bottom seam and stitch across the corner. Repeat for the other side.
9. Turn the bag right side out. The side seam is now the back seam. Press and enjoy!