Make this: Perler Bead Drink Covers
Entertain with your own unique style by making these festive drink covers made from Perler Beads.
Perler Beads are plastic fusible beads. They’re made from a food-grade plastic called low-density polyethylene. They don’t contain harmful chemicals. The beads are arranged on pegboards to form patterns and then fused together with heat from a clothes iron. The beads are covered with an ironing paper that is sold from Perler or you can use parchment or wax paper as well.
These drink covers are great for outdoor gatherings to keep the bugs off your beverages. You can also use them as coasters.
• Perler Beads in various colors
• Circle Perler Bead Pegboard
• Perler Bead Tweezers
1. Start by placing the Perler Beads on the pegboard in the center of the circle leaving the 5 middle pegs open.
2. Continue your circle design by changing colors. To fit on a wide mouth mason jar, each lid needs 7 circle layers. This should work for most glasses, but if you have certain drinkware in mind, measure to make sure you are making the lid large enough.
3. Heat your iron on medium temperature. Make sure to NOT use the steam feature.
4. Once it’s hot, place the protective paper on top of the pegboard and iron for about 20 seconds moving it in a circular motion pressing the beads very gently.
5. Let cool and pull beads off the pegboard.
6. If you want the beads to have a more fused look or if you want them to be extra sturdy – flip them over and iron on the opposite side (place on the pegboard again and remember to use the paper).
7. We liked the pixilated look, so we only ironed one side on most of these projects.
Make them for special holidays and occasions. These 4th of July ones looks great with mason jars and the mason jar rings keep them in place.
For this project, we spray painted the mason jar rings and ironed both sides of the Perler bead covers. You can see here how they are merged more than the fruit slices.
Creating with Perler Beads can be pretty addicting. We made a few coasters, as well. These were made with the square pegboard.
So many options with Perler Beads, Have fun!
MAKE-N-TAKES ARE BACK
2-4PM Every Saturday
Saturdays from 2-4PM Craft Warehouse hosts a special, in-store Make-N-Take event at ALL locations. Come Check it out!
View Events by Location
Meridian, ID | Beaverton, OR | Gresham, OR | Salem, OR | Hazel Dell, WA | Kennewick, WA | Vancouver, WA
Recent Blog Posts
View Post Categories
YOUR DAY TO SAVE - LAST TUESDAY OF THE MONTH
Customer Appreciation Day - 25% OFF
You will receive 25% off of the white tag price (some exclusions apply). If that item has a lower sale price, you will pay the lower price. Your Customer Appreciation day discount include all applicable items in your purchase. Discount taken at the register and limited to stock on hand.