Our 12″ x 30″ Slat Boards are the perfect canvas for so many projects. They come in natural wood, white wash, and gray. For this project, our Design Team used the natural board and painted it with Milk Paint, but you could use the white board for the same effect. Come into any Craft Warehouse to get loads of inspiration for all the projects you can create with these boards.
• 12″ x 30″ Slat Board
• Paper Mache Dimensional Letters CREATE or what you need to spell out the word you want
• Optional: Paint for Board (We used Milky White Milk Paint)
• Acrylic Paint in your color choice (we used Dark Turquoise Crafters Acrylic by DecoArt)
• White Acrylic Pint for mixing
• Paint brushes and mixing palette
1. Paint the board (optional) and set aside. Milk Paint is great for showing the grain of the wood, so you may want to do 1 or 2 coats depending on how you want it to look. Sand lightly between coats and sand a bit afterward if you want a more distressed look.
2. Paint the first letter of your word using the color straight from the bottle. For each additional letter mix the color with white – adding a bit more white for each letter so that you create an ombre effect with the word.
3. Make sure to paint all of the sides and a bit of the back so that the original paper doesn’t show when on the board.
4. Let the letters dry completely.
5. Choose where you want the letters to go and measure the inches it is from the bottom. Make a light mark with a pencil with that dimension all along the board so you know where the letters go.
6. Once dry, glue the letters on the board with E6000 glue.
Here is another version of this board with some lovely felt flowers added. What will you spell out on the board?
Project created by Sarah Owens for Craft Warehouse