Create Heart Felt Wall Art using canvas and embroidery hoops!
Click on the link for Valentine Heart Felt Wall Art for a pdf of instructions and pattern.
- 2 – 8 inch Wood Embroidery Hoops
- 2 – 8 inch Square canvases
- FQ each of 4 different but coordinated Solid Cottons
- One Skein each of 4 different but coordinated Embroidery Floss
- Coordinated acrylic craft paint
- Frixion Marking pen
- Embroidery Needles
- Ruler, regular or quilting
- Staple Gun
- Print or draw your desired shape on paper to create a template. Cut out the template.
- Press the cotton fat quarters.
- Using your Frixion pen, trace the template onto the solid fabrics, once on each color.
- Using a ruler or straight edge, mark symmetrically on the traced out line about every 1/2 inch.
- Place the fabric in one of the hoops.
- With all six strands of the embroidery floss doubled over, and using a running stitch, stitch the outline and use the markings that you made at every half inch to be where you begin and end stitches. This will give you a regular look to the out line.
- Again with embroidery floss doubled over, make long stitches from the half inch markings, you can make the stitches symmetrical or asymmetrical. This is similar to string art.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 for each color of fabric, and then do a final pressing.
- Paint your embroidery hoops now, and let dry.
- Stretch your stitchery in each painted hoop, being careful to keep the image centered and to tighten the hoop to keep the fabric tight. Trim the excess fabric and either do a running stitch to gather in the back, or glue down. I prefer to use a quick running stitch, that way I can change it out in the future.
- Stretch the other two remaining stitchery over the canvas, be careful to center. Staple to the reverse of the canvas. Trim excess fabric.
Created by Lisa Hinckley for Craft Warehouse